Lawn Manor Academy recognises the move process between primary and secondary schools as a key transition in a young person’s education and development.
The transfer process is managed by the Transfer & Inclusion Coordinator, Becci Benson, and the member of the Senior Leadership Team with responsibility is Mr Langdown, Deputy Headteacher. Lawn Manor Academy is proud of the positive links that have been developed with our colleagues in our cluster of primary schools.
Schools in the Lawn Manor Academy cluster are: Drove Primary, Lainesmead Primary, Lawn Primary, Oaktree Nursery & Primary, Goddard Park Primary and Mountford Manor Primary. In addition, most Year 7 intakes have children from a further 17 primary schools from across Swindon.
Year 6 pupils and their parents receive a full package of support to help them upon transfer to Key Stage 3, including:
- Monthly bulletins, letters and a Parental Guide providing vital information about the school.
- Parents / carers also visit Lawn Manor Academy for two Year 6 Information Evening in May and July, with the opportunity to meet their child’s new I LEARN Tutor.
- ‘Meet the I LEARN Tutor’ evenings provides an opportunity for parents / carers to see how their child has settled in within the first term of Year 7.
- ‘I LEARN Days’ for Year 5 pupils to experience exciting learning days at Lawn Manor Academy
- ‘Artsmad’ events for Year 6 pupils
- For individual concerns, Becci or Mrs Maddock (Assistant Headteacher & SENDCO) are available for telephone or email contact, or to meet in person with parents/carers.
- Lawn Manor Academy pupils often visit primary schools with a presentation and to answer any questions that Year 6 pupils may have.
- ‘Transfer Days’ for Year 6 pupils where they experience lessons, as well as enjoy a normal day in the life of a Lawn Manor Academy pupil.
- Becci Benson spends time in the Year 6 classrooms of all schools to meet every single child who is transferring to Lawn Manor Academy; this particularly supports pupils who feel vulnerable about transfer.
In addition to this; there are numerous occasions throughout the academic year where almost every curriculum area at Lawn Manor Academy makes links with Key Stage 2 pupils, such as: Junior Sports Leaders, or attending performances and exhibitions in the Arts.
It is vitally important that significant information is shared between the primary and secondary schools regarding pupils’ backgrounds, social and emotional wellbeing, academic achievement, gifts and talents, Special Educational Needs, medical concerns, and language acquisition for EAL pupils; this information forms the foundation for many basic school functions when the pupils start in Year 7 and is given high priority by Lawn Manor Academy and our colleagues in primary schools.
For individual concerns, Becci or Mrs Maddock (SENDCO) are available for telephone or email contact, or to meet in person with parents/carers.
Should you require any further information or support with KS2/3 transfer, then please do not hesitate to make contact with staff who will be pleased to respond:
Tours of Lawn Manor Academy are available during the school day for prospective parents and pupils; please contact Stacy Nicholas firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.