The Religion, Philosophy and Ethics (RPE) department at Lawn Manor Academy is a vibrant and active learning community. We believe RPE provides engaging, and developmental teaching and learning opportunities in which each pupil is encouraged to challenge and explore their individual knowledge, skills and understanding through a variety of activities which support the pupil voice. Pupils also develop their literacy skills by articulating their thoughts and points of view in both spoken and written formats. They learn to be empathetic and understand that people have different points of view and beliefs to theirs.
- To enable pupils to have a clear understanding of the key beliefs held by a range of people in society.
- To equip everyone with the ability to explore a range of beliefs and apply them to their own lives.
- To promote the spiritual and moral growth of pupils through discussions and debate by developing their own awareness of themselves and those around them.
- To encourage pupils to explore the key concepts within World Faiths.
- To examine how they feel about the beliefs and ideas they are exploring.
The RPE department is very well resourced, with excellent ICT access (including iPads), textbooks and innovative teaching resources for all.
Key stage 3
At Key Stage 3, RPE lessons at Lawn Manor Academy planned in accordance with the Swindon Agreed Syllabus for Religious Studies. The team works hard to ensure lessons are engaging, challenging current and relevant to our students. We aim to promote curious and inspired minds. As part of being an independent learner, the team encourages the students to get involved in project work through home learning projects.
There is a strong focus on fully preparing the students for GCSEs at Key Stage 3, by introducing GCSE topics, GCSE style exam questions and GCSE assessments.
In Year 7
Our topics include:
- What is belief?
- What does it mean to be human?
In Year 8
Our topics include:
- What is a person?
- Film and Faith
- Prejudice and Discrimination
- Holocaust Response
Key stage 4
At GCSE, the RPE department follows AQA GCSE (9-1) Religious Studies specification A. The topics studied include religious practices and beliefs. The course also investigates a variety of themes, such as human rights and social justice. Students are assessed formally at the end of the course in the form of two written exams.
Exam Board & Links for syllabus:
Year 9 – onwards