Business Studies is taught as a GCSE option from Year 9 and is a very popular choice. The Business Studies department is led by Miss Witham and is also taught by Miss Pawsey and Miss Harris. The subject has access to classrooms and full IT suites which provide excellent facilities.
Students benefit from visits from local business people and trips to local companies such as Intel where students are able to see how a large multi-national business operates and experience the whole recruitment process including an interview panel and teamwork tasks.
Students currently follow a programme of study that leads to the Edexcel GCSE Business qualification.
In year 9 students will study a range of subjects to provide them with an overall understanding of Business & Economics. These include:
- Aims and objectives of business
- Types of ownership
- Responding to customer needs, Market Research and the 4 P’s of marketing
- Organisational structure
- Business Finance
- External factors affecting the business
In the new specification students in Years 10 and 11 will study two themes; Investigating small business and Building a business which are examined at the end of the course.
- Enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Spotting a business opportunity
- Putting a business idea into practice
- Making the business effective
- Understanding external influences on business
- Growing the business
- Making marketing decisions
- Making operational decisions
- Making financial decisions
- Making human resource decisions